For 2019 here are 19 things we needed to hear when we were tweens:
1. Wear the red lipstick. Don’t worry so much about what others will say.
2. It’s never ok to be mean. To yourself or anyone around you.
3. It gets better. I know everyone says that but it really, really does.
4. Stop teasing your hair so much. It’s bad for your hair and you’re overdoing it.
5. Be nice to your parents. They’re wonderful and they’re just trying to help.
6. You will be too much for some people. Those are not your people.
7. Only surround yourself with wonderful, kind people who think you are equally as wonderful and kind. Cut out anyone who makes you question your worth.
8. Your skin will clear up and you’ll figure out how to do a winged liner.
9. Instagram isn’t real life! Social media is not reality. Take a break from it.
10. Stop making excuses for him. If he wants to call you, he’ll call. If he wants to take you out, he’ll take you out.
11. Accept and appreciate your body // make friends with your body.
12. Foods aren’t “good” or “bad.”
13. Find movement you love – don’t force yourself to workout in a way you hate.
14. People show you who they are. Don’t expect them to change.
15. It’s better to have four quarters than 100 pennies: all you need are a few ride-or-die friends.
16. Don’t wait around for a boy who doesn’t prioritize you and your happiness.
17. Black eyeliner is too harsh for you. Switch to brown.
18. Comparison is the thief of happiness. Focus on yourself and be grateful for what you do have.
19. Hatred is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Forgive, forget, move on, whatever you have to do to release the hatred and cultivate gratitude. Your health and happiness depends on it.
What do you wish you could tell your younger self? We’d love to know!